Our Lady of the Woods
This parish community began in July 1954, with Fr. Michael Kavanagh. Mass was celebrated in various locations and homes. The church was built in 1955 and the rectory completed in 1967. This Catholic Community in Teller County has three parishes of Our Lady of the woods in Woodland Park, St. Peter in Cripple Creek and St. Victor in Victor, but continues to support each small and friendly faith community. The church’s active social ministry helps both parishioners and non-parishioners with needs such as food, transportation, home visitation and a variety of services.
In 1892, Archbishop N.C. Matz of Denver sent Cripple Creek its first resident priest, Fr. T. Volpe, who selected the highest hill in town for the church. The foundation stone was laid in 1897. A school located on the lot closest to the church was opened in 1901, under the charge of the Sisters of Mercy.